Sunday 12 August 2012

A mixed weekend

Friday night I scoped the “shed” as she went over on her 22:02 pass then continued lamping around Cock Robin Plantation and Wood managing an impressive 22 Mother of Pearl, 6 Riband Wave, 2 Scalloped Oak, 4 Willow Beauty, 3 Common White Wave, Yellow-tail, Dark Arches and Fan-foot. Juvenile Tawny Owl was tracked down to an Oak tree before watching the second “shed” pass of the evening an hour and 37 minutes after the first.
By the time I got home my own traps were cooking on gas with plenty in there but by the time I awoke most of the goodies had drifted off. Rest of morning spent mixing with the Olympic crowd – luckily they were going to Hadleigh Farm for the mountain bike racing while I was twitching dragonflies at the Wat Tyler Country Park. In the park the Southern Migrant Hawker showed well as did the Scarce Emerald Damselfly but they did not give photo opportunities to us small guys so left it to the big lens boys to enjoy. Also present were Emperor Dragonfly, Southern, Migrant and Brown Hawker and added Small Red-eyed Damselflies to my year list bringing me up to 24 species for the year.
JJ managed to re-sex the RCP for me – eclipsed male and had a Buzzard perched with a large recently caught Snake still alive (just)
eclipsed male Red-crested Pochard
Sunday was waste of time on the birding front with very little about. Duck species have increased at the pond with Shoveler, Gadwall, Teal, Pochard and Goldeneye joining the normal fare with 10 Swift still feeding above the north shore while 2 Common Sandpiper also noted.

Coming home I was well and truly stitched up by persons unknown with my garden covered in balloons, bunting and birthday banners, even the bird feeders and moth trap were decked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment