Monday 22 April 2013

Catch up

Birding wise I managed 2 visits to the Avon Dasset Hills over the weekend. The first a short visit on Saturday produced Grasshopper Warbler while a longer stay on Sunday brought me Whinchat and if my ears did not fool me a flyover Tree Pipit. Kept away from the crowds in the country park and staked out Gredenton and Fenny Compton Hills finding a suitable site to just sit, listen and wait for the birds to come to me.

Down the pond with Bob this morning (Monday) and while he walked to toft bay I checked on the car parks and sailing graveyard hoping for some butterflies but the cool breeze kept them down apart from a single Peacock. Not a lot on the reservoir with the highlight of the visit being 7 Yellow Wagtail and Meadow Pipit on farnborough bank while Whitethroat have only just arrived but one pair was already nest building and two other males singing there heads off.

Butterflies appeared over the weekend with Brimstone, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock and Comma in my garden with Brimstone and Small Tortoiseshell seen on Rugby Railway Station.
Small Tortoiseshell Rugby Railway Station
Moths continue to do well with Early Grey and Herald, added to my garden year list and Dave added Brindle Beauty to his.
Early Grey

Twin-spotted Quaker

Brindle Beauty

No comments:

Post a Comment