Wednesday 27 June 2012

Fort William area


A day of occasional showers, some heavy so ended up well and truly soaked.
Hired a bike and took the Fort William to Camusnagaul ferry and explored the north shore of Loch Linnhe and the surrounding hills to Carron returning the same way instead of getting a ferry across to Bunree. This area was off the main tourist route so very pleasant and could stop when and wherever I wanted with out being bothered by the “what you doing brigade” and I wished I knew about this gem as it was worth spending more time here especially if the weather was better. There were Siskin, Redpoll, Wood Warbler Rock Pipit, Grey Wagtail and Common Sandpiper along with the occasional Snipe, Whinchat, Wheatear, Tree Pipit, Spotted and Pied Flycatcher along the shoreline or around the cottages. The loch held Red-breasted Merganser and a distant Osprey fishing while I added Argent and Sable to my moth list. Arrived back in Fort William in need of a change of clothes and though I had already booked out my hotel they allowed us at no extra charge to borrow a room to freshen up. Dinner again in the N4 then it was down to the station to catch the overnight Caledonian Sleeper service to London meaning a change of train for me at Crewe. First time I have used a sleeper service and though the cabins are tight on space the beds are comfortable and the stewards very helpful. I shared a few beers and coffee with some lads from Havant who had spent a week bagging munroes so chatted through the first 4 hours of the 11 hour journey home. Only down side to the whole trip was the 30p fee if you want to use a toilet on some stations. When my legs are crossed the last thing I want to do is look for change, I’m a need to go NOW person.


No comments:

Post a Comment