Thursday 7 June 2012

Moth Records

A wet day spent updating my moth records after seeing the first summer male Red-footed Falcon feeding over the River Trent near Willington Gravel Pits, Derbyshire. A rather smart individual.

It’s been a frustrating year for moths so far with a record number of species recorded from my garden trap in March to the lowest count recorded in April when only 7 species were trapped. Normally I record over 40 species. May has managed to produce above average numbers though as a year I am at least 20 species down so I’m hoping the wet and cool conditions will eventually give way to some warmth. On a recording front one of the four common Light Brown Apple Moths recorded on the 5th June was my 60,000th moth to be trapped in my garden from over 18,000 records.
So far my garden count is 306 macro species and 223 species of micro
In comparison Dave has over 22700 records trapping 90,290 moths made up of 317 macro and 262 micro species so he is 50 species in front of me. Of interest our combined gardens have produced 650 moths.




No comments:

Post a Comment